Tuesday, April 29, 2014

1 - A Small Banana Republic South of the Equator

Chapter I - A Small Banana Republic

The sun has finished his work for the day and is heading home somewhere over the horizon. The owl will soon begin its hunt. But it won’t be alone. Soon I will join it chasing a rodent of my own, only one much more clever who has evaded governments, spies, and small armies.
But he won’t escape me. No one escapes Thylacine.
I’ve tracked him across a dozen borders to one of the largest republics in the southern hemisphere. Only a few years ago this nation made headlines for its explosive growth and potential to become a major player in global events. But like so many rising stars, the reality couldn’t match the hype, and the people are left lamenting about what could have been.
It’s a perfect place to hide. The eyes of the world have turned far from here. And thanks to regular photos popping up on various social media sites everyone believes he’s on the other side of the world. This man knows how to hide, at least from normal eyes.
Unfortunately for him, mine are anything but normal. Hundreds have said good-bye to this world without ever knowing who stamped their passport. Even the majority of my clients have no idea whom they hired. But there are a few who know, enough to connect them with me, discreetly.



No comments:

Post a Comment