Tuesday, June 3, 2014

25 - Painful Memory

He raises an eyebrow. He sets his glass of some amber beverage down on the table beside him. The corner of his mouth moves up. I see his belly twitch. He’s trying to hold in the laugh, but he can’t. His whole frame begins to shake. It’s a most awkward and uncomfortable sound. I remember his laugh being unusual, but this is queer even for him. He laughs so hard he begins to cry. It takes him several minutes to regain control.
“You’ve developed quite the sense of humor. Need my help. That is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard. And I know it’s a joke, because you couldn’t possibly be serious, not after what you did to me. Even with all my skill and talent I couldn’t find a way to heal this scar. I still have no idea what kind of poison you used, but I want some.”
“I am just as surprised and shocked as you. But I’m hunting a prey who has proven to be most … elusive. I need something a little more … extra ordinary.”
He laughs again with a shrill screech in his voice. “A prey you can’t handle on your own? You really have changed. You would never have allowed yourself to admit such a shortcoming. What is this prey that has brought the great hunter begging at my door?”
“He is known as the Wandering Koala.”
The doctor stops laughing. “What do you need?”




No comments:

Post a Comment