Wednesday, June 18, 2014

36 - Hit Him While He's Down

All three proceed to kick Kyle while he is down. Not a very honorable attack, but understandable considering the torment he’s put them thru.
One of the Cuscuses picks him up by the scalp and holds his arms behind his back while the other two pummel his stomach. They each take a special kind of pleasure with every strike.
Kyle slumps to his knees. His attackers go back to kicking him in the front, back, side, and everywhere in between. I’m a little disappointed he succumbed so quickly. Maybe he’s gotten old.
The Cuscuses give him one last kick then drop him. His face smacks the ground. They look up at me and smirk. One folds his arms, another rubs his chin, and the third squats against the rocks.
I see a twitch less than a moment before Kyle flies up the rock face again, but this time he’s heading straight for me. I should have known he wouldn’t go down so easily. He mustn’t see me. I’m not ready to face him yet.
I’m barely out of the room when he leaps over the guardrails. He sees back of my head as I turn down the staircase. Does he recognize me? It’s been years and I doubt he ever expected to see me again. I wonder if the Cuscuses have recovered and are on their way here. But even if they were, he has too great a head start on them. I’m on my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment