Friday, June 20, 2014

38 - The Fight was Recorded

Chapter V - Wandering Koala’s LabTree

I sit behind the 20-foot screen of the supercomputer in the LabTree while René makes his nightly bowl of popcorn and Kyle tends to his wounds. I catch myself adjusting my glasses while looking over the search results and jerk my hand down. I’ve heard several people comment how I’m always playing with my glasses and how distracting it is, so I’ve been consciously trying to stop. It’s hard.
The three attackers were no ordinary thugs. They nearly took down Kyle, and he’s taken on a SWAT team before and won. They looked ordinary enough, which will make them that much harder to identify. They somehow managed to escape while Kyle was chasing the man in a grey suit. The police did recover samples of DNA, but so few people’s DNA is on file that it probably won’t lead anywhere. Fortunately, over two dozen people recorded the fight and posted it online, so I have excellent shots of all three attackers.
Facial recognition turned up nothing, but the program Kyle has (and where he gets his applications I wish I knew, because they are decades ahead of what anyone else has) was able to detect surgical alterations to both bone structure and facial features. I’m still trying to figure out how it could do that from a few fuzzy video frames.




No comments:

Post a Comment