Monday, June 2, 2014

24 - It is Customary to use the Front Door

“It’s customary for guests to use the front door.” His voice comes from a chair facing the fireplace, its back to me. “And to knock and wait to be invited in before entering. Those are proper manners.”
The chair slowly turns to face me. He does an admirable job hiding the surprise on his face, but my keen eyes still catch it. “It’s been a long time, Thylacine.”
“It has.”
He runs his hand down the largest scar on his face. “I must say, I’m surprised you’d dare step foot within a hundred miles of me.”
I see his eye twitch and take the cue to duck. The three-headed beast’s jaw brushes across my right shoulder, its slobber wetting my skin. My left hand is around its throats, and I pin it to the ground before it can take a breath. It claws at me, but my skin is like leather. I feel no pain.
“I’m rather fond of that beast. I’d appreciate you letting it live.”
“You should have thought of that before sicking it on me.”
“Cerberus. Heel!” It stops struggling. I slowly release its neck but am ready to crush its windpipe should it come at me again. Fortunately for its master, it stays down.
“So what brings you all the way out to my chateau. I doubt this is a social call.”
“I need your help.”




No comments:

Post a Comment