Thursday, June 19, 2014

37 - Hide and Seek

I slide halfway down the bannister until I’m near a fake tree and jump to it. I leap from branch to branch until I’m across the room, then I hit the ground and make a mad dash for the kitchen. It should lead to the alley, and the alley will provide me with more cover and options than the open parking lot in front.
I am dying to look back and see how close he is, but I know it will cost me time, and it may be time I don’t have.
I weave my way thru the kitchen mapping out the path of least resistance. Fortune shines on me, because a kitchen hand is taking out the trash and has the door open part way. I fly past him.
In the alley fortune again is on my side in the form of a passing garbage truck. I jump onto the dumpster, to the garbage truck, up to a ledge, and then onto the roof. I hear the kitchen hand’s indignant “hey” telling me where Kyle is. I’m out of sight before he’s in the alley. I made it.
I'm tempted to peek out and watch him look for me in vein, but he probably has eyes as keen as mine and will spot me. No, I’ll wait here silently.
I don’t have to wait long. The Cuscuses arrive and Kyle disappears before round three begins.
I wait another hour to make sure he’s gone and then head back to my hotel. I have a lot to review before the next test.




No comments:

Post a Comment