Tuesday, May 13, 2014

11 - Across the Desert


We’ve just passed Lost Wages on the second maiden run of the Jupiter, the first transcontinental bullet train. I know what you’re thinking: second maiden run? It’s a long story. Maybe some day I’ll go back and recount all of our adventures since meeting Kyle, and there have been a lot of them in the short time since he showed up at my doorstep. I’m still not sure why I let him in. I’ve always been weary of strangers, especially at night. But there was something about him, and I’m not the only one who says that – I hear it from almost everyone we help. He just has a way about him. Which is good, because he can’t speak, so he’d be pretty easy to ignore otherwise. I once asked him if he was born mute. He grew quiet and distant, so I don’t think he was. I think something happened later in life, something he won’t talk about.
We just made a brief stop in Lost Wages to pick up passengers and are once again on our way. The train is full. I wonder how long they will have sold out trips. The convenience of traveling across the country at the speed of a jet but without any of the security nuisance is worth the premium they charge. I wonder how long it’ll be before some government agency creates a slew of new regulations because they must control everything. They’re probably already plotting how to install eyes and ears into every car. Better enjoy the brief moment of privacy while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment