Friday, May 9, 2014

9 - I Accept the Contract

“I know it’s hard to believe, but look at yourself. You certainly don’t look your age.”
“I have had some … exotic treatments.”
“Maybe he has too.”
I look at the photo again. It isn’t possible. It looks exactly like him. Exactly. As if the tournament were yesterday.
“Tell me, do you have any audio recordings of him?”
“Everyone we’ve tracked down who has met him personally confirms that he is mute as legend states.”
“It’s a coincidence or some weird family genetic anomaly.”
“We assure you beyond any doubt, this is the same man.”
I can’t believe it. Their experts must be mistaken. They must.
The woman leans forward, arching her back slightly to get the most out of her low-cut top. “Can you really accept being defeated by a defective creature? Show the world who the better man is – you, not that cripple.”
They have done their homework. They know exactly the right buttons to push. But I will not be manipulated. I will not let THEM or THEIR agendas affect MY decisions. That also means not doing the opposite of what they want out of spite or to make a point.
“I accept the contract.”





No comments:

Post a Comment