Wednesday, May 14, 2014

12 - Fast Asleep

I’m hoping this ride will be less eventful than our first one, but I’ve been traveling with Kyle long enough to know better. Some might say he attracts trouble, but it’s actually the other way around. He has this compass that points to wherever he is needed. I’m still not sure how it works. René claims it’s magic, but I know better. There’s no such thing as magic. Everything has a perfectly rational, scientific explanation. We just haven’t discovered them all yet.
I look over and see Kyle is sound asleep. Looks like that compass hasn’t pointed to trouble yet. Good. Maybe I can get some rest. It’s been a crazy past couple of days.
René is still on a quest for some new and unusual snack food he’s never tried. I wonder what’s keeping him. Maybe he ran into girl and is trying to talk her into accepting his friend request.
Normally I’d describe him as a roustabout or goof off, but when something is important to him, I’ve never seen anyone more focused or more determined. Fortunately he occasionally deigns to find our current mission important, like our most recent affair in Califia. I hate to admit it, but I don’t think we would have been about to save so many lives if not for his expertise. If only he’d put even a fraction of that energy into something really important instead of the quest for a new kind of donut. But a snack actually sounds really good right now. Maybe I’ll go find him.
* * * * *




No comments:

Post a Comment