Tuesday, May 27, 2014

20 - A Grand Hotel then a Nearly Deserted Moor

Chapter III - A Grand Hotel then a Nearly Deserted Moor

I sit in my hotel room and star out the window over the city. It’s beautiful at night with a cloak of darkness to cover up the crime, poverty, and ugliness that is an inseparable part of any large city. The lights shine like Christmas decorations, but I’m too preoccupied to enjoy any of it.
I decide the next two tests I have planned for Kyle will be inadequate. Ordinary hit men – even the best in the business – won’t suffice. I am forced to enlist the aid of someone who deals in much more … exotic fare. Someone I had hoped to never deal with again. But I see no other option.
Dr. Emil Amazat has been spearheading the research in genetics and genetic engineering since the late 60s. Some of his experiments make Dr. Frankenstein look like a family practitioner. But unlike other mad scientists (and I mean that in every sense of the word), he is still a highly regarded and well-respected member of the scientific community. He’s even dean of the science department at a university on the West Coast. He has successfully kept his public research, which he does for the university and publishes about in journals, separate from his private research, which he does for high paying clients. He is the paradigm example of ‘It’s only wrong if you get caught’. He’s never gotten caught, so he’s honored.




No comments:

Post a Comment