Wednesday, May 28, 2014

21 - The Middle of a Burnt Out Forest

The Doctor lives in the middle of burnt out forest that, for some reason I have yet to learn, has never grown back. Between the gnarled trees and the craggy rock formations, the area would make the perfect set for one of those old German Expressionist horror films from the 20s. I half think the Doctor purposely manipulated the fauna, flora, and landscape to emulate that. His house is an asymmetrical, ill-proportioned cottage that looks like the home of Rotwang or Dr. Mabuse. Nothing has changed in the nearly four decades since I was last here. I can’t say I’m all that surprised.
I first encountered the Doctor shortly after facing Kyle the first time. I wasn’t in my right mind and was looking for something that would give me the edge over any opponent. Atomic power was the cool new kid on the block with science fiction predicting it could give humans incredible new powers. I knew it wouldn’t make lasers shoot out of my eyes or allow me to crawl up walls, but I figured there had to be some kernel of reality buried beneath all the fantastic speculation.
My search eventually led to Dr. Amazat. He recognized that radiation was able to manipulate life at the genetic level, but that it was a rather crude and limited method. He believed there was a more direct and predictable approach. I was desperate enough to listen to him.




No comments:

Post a Comment