Thursday, May 29, 2014

22 - Genetic Engineering

The DNA molecule had only recently begun to be unraveled. Dr. Amazat told me that DNA was the basis of all life and that humans shared much of their DNA with other life forms including bananas. He said there was no reason we couldn’t incorporate the abilities of other species within our own. This was exactly what I thought I was looking for, so of course I agreed to be his guinea pig.
I suppose I was lucky. I lived and I gained a greater lifespan, heightened senses, and the strength and agility of the fiercest marsupial hunter. Most of the other test subjects never made it out of the lab. But the side effects continue to plague me to this day. Maybe after all these decades, the good doctor has made progress towards alleviating them or even eliminating them. I’m just not sure how to broach the subject. We didn’t part on the best of terms. He probably still has that scar on his left cheek.
I perform the Ritual of The Hunt before coming here. I don’t anticipate trouble, but then I didn’t anticipate trouble the first time either, and I’m still paying for that. The sins of youth – can one ever truly be free of them?
 It swoops down as silent as the cloak of night, but no sound is too low for my heightened senses. I wait until it is almost upon me before I make my move giving it no time to react.



No comments:

Post a Comment