Wednesday, May 7, 2014

7 - Where Did You Get This?


“He may have upset a few powerful secret societies, crossed a state government or two, and gotten on the wrong side of supernatural entities, but he is still just a small time operator. I only go after big fish. And now you have one minute to leave this restaurant and never come within two hundred miles of me again or you will join the rest of the patrons six feet under.”
They don’t move, only grin more broadly. They really are fools. I reach into a pouch on my belt without twitching any part of my exposed upper body when the lady reaches into her purse and pulls out a photograph. What is it – a picture of a child who was tragically taken before his time because of this wandering interloper’s interference? She sets the photo down on the table in front of me. I glance down dreading the sob story that is sure to follow.
I gasp! For a moment the world around me disappears, and I’m unsure whether or not this is a dream. I pick up the photo and rub it firmly. It feels real. I blink twice and count my fingers to make sure I’m not imagining this. No, this is real.
I take a deep breath and recompose myself. I pride myself on always being in control, always aware of my surroundings, and never taken by surprise. But this photo … I was not expecting this. “Where did you get this?”





No comments:

Post a Comment